Most Popular Tourist Attractions in New York CityA national landmark forever made a pop culture icon by a giant gorilla. The site of a great tragedy and the resulting triumph of the human spirit. The place where our courageous ancestors first stepped onto American soil. These three things have two things in common. First, they're each vitally important and significant landmarks which make up the fabric of our country's history. Second, they're all in New York City.
New York City is home to many wonders, both natural and man-made, but certain attractions seem to garner more attention than others. If you're planning a visit to the Big Apple and you want to see what sets the city above and beyond other American cities, then here are some of the most popular tourist attractions in New York City.
New York City's Most Popular Attractions
* Ellis Island - In order to know how we became the country we are today, we first have to know how it all started. Ellis Island was the main immigration port in the United States from 1892 to 1954. Today, it houses a museum dedicated to our ancestors' trek to a better way of life. The site is visited by over 3 million people each year.
* The Statue of Liberty - The beacon that welcomed so many of our ancestors to these shores is still one of the most popular tourist attractions in New York City. Although access to the statue's crown is no longer available, Lady Liberty still draws sighs of appreciation from millions of visitors every year.
* Rockefeller Center - Christmastime at Rockefeller Center is an American tradition and the lighting of the Christmas Tree draws record crowds and television coverage every year. In addition, there's no more romantic place to skate than in the Center's park. But, you don't have to wait until December to visit this photographer's paradise. It's a brilliant display of human ingenuity and artistry all year round.
* The Empire State Building - The archetypal vision of the skyscraper, the Empire State Building welcomes 10 to 20 thousand visitors per day. Visiting the top of this one-time tallest building in the world can give you an 80-mile view and the beauty of it all can take your breath away.
* The World Trade Center Site - A flight to New York City will bring you to the site of one of our nation's worst tragedies, visited by millions of people each year. While rebuilding the 16 acres may be taking longer than usual, there is plenty to reflect on while you're here.
* The American Museum of Natural History - One of the greatest collections in the world, it's constantly changing and growing. With four floors to peruse, it can be impossible to take it all in with one trip, but a visit to the Hall of Saurischian Dinosaurs and the Milstein Hall of Ocean Life are two of the permanent exhibitions you simply must see.
Visiting New York's Most Popular Tourist Attractions
When visiting these sites and other popular tourist attractions in New York City, there are a couple of things you're going to want to keep in mind.
1. Always make sure you are wearing a comfortable pair of shoes. Although New York transportation will often be available, many of these attractions require a lot of walking and a bottle of water is a definite accessory during the summer months.
2. These popular sites can get very busy. If you're uncomfortable with heavy crowds, try to plan a trip during the week rather than on the weekend.
3. Many of these sites are in close proximity to Central Park, so take advantage of it, leave your New York hotel and stop by the park for a rest in another one of the city's most beloved tourist spots.
Visiting New York City can be a thrilling, thought-provoking and enlightening experience. When you're planning your trip, try to fit in as many of these attractions as possible, but don't over do it. You want to give yourself a proper amount of time to fully appreciate all the attractions that New York City travel has to offer.